Saturday, December 23, 2006

Granny Squares

Luckily, my niece Ayeka can't read yet, and her dad and mom don't read my blog often (as far as I know), so I can post this picture of what I made her for Christmas.

I started crocheting the baby blanket in August right after Ayeka was born. The plan was to send it a few weeks later, not at Christmas, which is good because if I'd planned on sending it at Christmas, it wouldn't have gotten finished until Easter or her first birthday.

My original design idea was to make the whole thing out of granny squares. But about three squares in, looking at the stack of little pink potholders and calculating how many dozens more I'd need for the whole blanket, I sunk into a funk of sysiphean demoralization, since every time you finish a square, you start all over on a new one, and the pile never seems to grow very fast. So I decided to make the blanket one big granny square and incorporate the ones I'd already finished into the design. Easier to see progress that way.

I crochet the way I write--lots of revisions along the way and unravelling of work already done.

But it's finished now. Yay! Now if I could only say that about a few other things.

3 Comments:

Blogger Splinister said...

That's lovely Tinatsu! Well done. :)

Dec 24, 2006, 4:38:00 AM  
Blogger gordsellar said...

Yeah, I like to too.

Unravelling as you go ain't so bad. Probably a much better learning-as-you-go factor in your favour.

For some reason, when you wrote granny squares, a Cthulhu cult-dainty came to mind. Squares of baked granny, of course.

Dec 25, 2006, 5:13:00 PM  
Blogger tinatsu said...

Maura! Thanks.

Sounds yummy, Gord. A traditional Ikthu'phang delight, I'm sure.

Dec 26, 2006, 7:23:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home