Saturday, November 25, 2006

What's This?


Walking to the store today, with icy white things whipping down from the sky, I felt like Jack Skellington:
What's this? What's this?
There's color everywhere
What's this?
There's white things in the air
What's this?
I can't believe my eyes
I must be dreaming...

If I remember correctly, the white stuff is called "snow." I seem to recall it from my childhood, when we would pray for "snow days" so school would be cancelled. In L.A. a "snow day" is when they bring a truck filled with snow to the school and dump it on the playground for the kids to play in.

Update: The day after. Still snowing. When we moved up here, they told us it doesn't snow in Vancouver. Liars.

7 Comments:

Blogger Ben said...

Now you're just trying to scare me with these awful tales of icy white stuff dropping from the sky.

I used to hallucinate such a thing, but now I'm cured. After all, it's almost December, a time that according to my previous delusions I should have already seen "snow" falling on the ground at least a few times, and I haven't seen any.

Nov 26, 2006, 2:19:00 PM  
Blogger tinatsu said...

All I have to say is: Don't go home for Christmas, Ben. Spend the holidays at the beach, lest your hallucinations return. The delusions about "snow" are also accompanied by hallucinations of bitter cold outside. Could be quite a shock to your system.

Nov 26, 2006, 4:09:00 PM  
Blogger tinatsu said...

Hmph. I walked to work wearing a knit hat, scarf, and gloves and a big overcoat, and I was still freezing. The concept of "seasons" is highly over-rated. I really don't mind summer all year long.

Nov 27, 2006, 10:27:00 PM  
Blogger gordsellar said...

Woah! The winter I visited, Vancouver was dry and brown and crusty, but snowless. Weird.

Nov 28, 2006, 4:56:00 AM  
Blogger Nalo said...

You're in Vancouver?

Dec 6, 2006, 10:21:00 AM  
Blogger tinatsu said...

Hey Nalo!

I'm working up in Vancouver for a few months. Currently scheduled to be here until the end of February. We'll see how much longer I decide to stay after that or if the cold and rain drive me back to LA.

Dec 6, 2006, 12:31:00 PM  
Blogger Nalo said...

My experience has been that by February, Vancouver is -- incredible to a Torontonian -- having a lush, green spring. Whereas over here, those of us who find winter abominable are gritting our teeth for another 3-4 months of it.

Dec 7, 2006, 4:10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home