Thursday, October 19, 2006

Shopping for Salwars

I'm not a particularly fashion-conscious person. It's not that I wouldn't like to be fashionable and nicely dressed, but working against that are the facts that a.) I don't like spending money on clothes, b.) I think most clothing in stores is boring, and c.) I generally hate going shopping. But every once in a while, I'll get inspired to try and spice up the old wardrobe (and believe me, most of it is really old).

Which brings me to my latest discovery: eShakti.com. I have a weakness for Indian fabrics and trims, so this place totally sucked me in. They sell salwar kameez, which are loose pants and tunic outfits popular in Pakistan and India. Some of the prints and combinations get a little busy for my tastes, but there's enough of a range of styles and fabrics that I spent several hours browsing and drooling. One of the things I hate about shopping is that you'll see an outfit you like and then find out that they don't have your size. Not a problem here: you can put in your measurements and they'll custom make your outfit for you. And while you're at it, you can specify what type of sleeve or pant cut you want, change the shape of the neckline or the length of the tunic. And for all that, the prices aren't bad.

After spending a few days deciding what I liked best, I took the plunge and ordered some outfits. It took about two weeks for them to get made and arrive from India. The fabrics are beautiful and everything looks as promised. Some of the clothes are too loose (part of that has to do with the fact that they're made to fit loosely--just a little too loose for me), so I still have to get them altered a bit. Overall, I'm happy though. Perhaps I'll have pictures later.

Now I just have to find some matching shoes.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tina Connolly said...

pictures!

Oct 19, 2006, 5:04:00 PM  
Blogger tinatsu said...

You may need to take the pictures yourself then. By the time I get things altered, it'll be time to pack for WFC. :-)

Oct 19, 2006, 5:30:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home