Monday, October 30, 2006

Switching Gears

I'm in LA right now taking care of some stuff before heading to World Fantasy, but next week I'll be back up in Vancouver working. I'll be compositing on one of two films, but I'm not sure which one yet. Neither is particularly high-profile or exciting, though. So, I'll be spending my days and evenings sitting in front of a computer monitor staring a film frames instead of sitting in front of a computer staring at half-blank Word docs. (Half-blank or half-filled? Doesn't matter. Either way, the story isn't done.)

What this all means is, I don't anticipate getting much writing done for the next few months, which is probably a good thing. I think I need to give my brain a rest. Note that I didn't say I wouldn't be getting ANY writing done, just not MUCH. I still have a few projects where I have some sort of clue of what's going on. But I need to shift the focus off of trying to get as many stories done and out the door as possible. That approach is proving counter-productive for me. I end up spending too much time trying to figure out how to compress the story so I can finish it faster instead of telling the story the way it needs to be told. And I end up trying to rush the planning and development process, which is crucial for me to be able to finish the story. So then I get stuck and jump to another story. Repeat cycle. (When will I learn that there are no shortcuts?) Now I have broken pieces of three different stories scattered across various drafts rather than one decent, completed story. And I have stories out that I know are broken or incomplete as well.

Moral of the story: don't try to be someone else. I've been spending too much time watching people who can wing their way through a draft with only the faintest clue what's happening next. People who can finish drafts way quicker than I can. I wish I could work that way. But I can't--I've tried, and things just end up in a muddle. So, I'm taking some time to regroup and focus on other things to coax my poor, browbeaten muse from its frightened retreat.

Today's mantra: Writing is not a competive sport.
Also: Trust yourself.

6 Comments:

Blogger gordsellar said...

The world is glad that you're not planning on a total switchover, just a partial one. I would miss your stories, for one example.

And you're right, trusting yourself is important, and writing isn't a competitive sport. :)

Oct 30, 2006, 9:03:00 AM  
Blogger Tina Connolly said...

ditto gord. Also, I think there's always grass-is-greener in watching other writers write...everyone else's process always seems better than your own. To me, anyway. :)

Oct 30, 2006, 10:44:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ditto tina (whose process is way greener than my process).

Write at whatever pace works for you. If your fans get impatient, post your grocery list :)

Oct 30, 2006, 10:51:00 AM  
Blogger tinatsu said...

Thanks, y'all. I just don't work well with Zebras snorting over my shoulder, I guess.

Gord, I'm glad you've taken on the position of spokesperson for the world. Wield your power responsibly.

Tina, there is no way my process can be greener than your own. You must be referring to Gord's.

Caroline, don't tell me to do that! Then I'll get blocked trying to write the perfect grocery list, and not knowing what groceries I need to buy, I may starve. :)

Oct 30, 2006, 12:10:00 PM  
Blogger Ben said...

Well, as someone who invariably wings it, I've actually been quite jealous of those who know what the hell is going to happen next. If I could write like that, I would. And, obviously, ditto Our Gord and Savior.

Oct 30, 2006, 3:30:00 PM  
Blogger gordsellar said...

Occasionally a student does misspell my name God. :)

Of course I'm spokeperson for the world. You must have stopped watching CNN or something.

Oct 31, 2006, 8:13:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home