Thursday, November 23, 2006

For aspiring auteurs...

I recently found out about a reality TV show/competition for wannabe directors being produced by Steven Spielberg and Mark Burnett. It's called "On the Lot". The show will follow the usual format: 16 contestants, weekly challenges, eliminations, etc. The winner gets a million dollar development deal with Dreamworks.

The website has the five-minute application films that people have submitted so far. (There's still time to submit a film--deadline's February 16, 2007!) I haven't watched any of them yet, but I'm supposing there's some decent little films.

I showed the site to Brad since his dream is to direct movies (as mandated by L.A. County law), but I don't know if he's going to enter something or not.

I'm a little surprised that it's taken this long for them to get around to a show featuring directors--it seems like a more natural fit for TV than following, say, wannabe business tycoons.

2 Comments:

Blogger gordsellar said...

Sounds a little like Project Greenlight to me. But with a director instead of actor-directors, and more people competing *during* the series, instead of before the beginning of the series. Hmm.

Nov 24, 2006, 1:59:00 AM  
Blogger tinatsu said...

I think the potential for coolness abounds. I'm trying hard not to write a new script for Brad to shoot; I want him to write a story himself. Especially as I have all these other stories I'm supposed to be concentrating on...

Nov 25, 2006, 1:33:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home