Wednesday, August 09, 2006

They came from outer space...

Can I go a week without posting kitty pictures on my blog? I can not.

Actually, I don't know where these kitties came from. My brother Rik called on Thursday, the night before I was to arrive at his house for a week of cat-sitting (his two cats, Strider and Chai, and my fluffy boy Pixel), and said they had a surprise for me. He and his wife Mel had found these two babies outside, screaming from hunger, the night before. They got them cleaned up, took them to the vet, and made a nice little home for them in the back bathroom. So, I ended up with two extra charges in my care.

Rik and Mel are not keeping the kitties, since they already have two cats. (I'm sure that this is a valid, logical reason--in a reality not my own.) They posted a sign outside for anyone who might be looking for them, complete with color photograph. I swear I have been listening for knocks at the front door, although it is rather hard to hear from the room that I'm in. If no one claims them, Brad says we can take one home. Something about lease agreements and whatnot at our new apartment--again, I trust that there is logic at work here.

What with not keeping them and all, Rik and Mel did not give the kitties names. I see absolutely no logic in this. (Name that quote: "Just curious. A picture popped into my mind of a pump without a handle.") In my post-Clarion, SF-saturated state, I have dubbed them Hugo and Nebula. I wish I could take them both home.

After a few days of living with them, I'm thinking of renaming them Squeak and Squeal. I'm sure other undignified names will occur to me as the week progresses.

(OK, yes, the only reason for this post was so I could put up the photo. But aren't they cute!)

What I'm reading: The Razor's Edge, W. Somerset Maugham

3 Comments:

Blogger Ben said...

I don't know, my vote's for "Hugo" and "Nebula." Those are fantastic names for cats.

Aug 9, 2006, 2:46:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

squee! They look SO much like my kitten and her brother when they were tiny. (my kitten would be the mostly solid grey one) I wish we could take one....

Aug 9, 2006, 3:45:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, did I say I wanted you to bring one of them home? I thought you were kidding. :) Nah, Im kidding, bring one, only one. Not two, not three, just one. Please :)

I look forward to having the kitten attack my foot or some other body part in the middle of the night. Thats always fun.

Aug 9, 2006, 5:20:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home