Monday, January 01, 2007

Christmas Loot

I'm finally back in Vancouver, a day late and more than a few dollars short. For probably the first time in my life, I'm glad that I'm going back to work tomorrow. My "vacation" time was woefully short of time to actually get any writing done, which has left me feeling stressed and irritated. I have a better chance of doing my writing when I'm working ten-hour days.

On the plus side, I got some new books to add to the ever expanding list of To-Read list, all of which g0t a free pass to the front of the list.
  • The Complete Guide to Writing Fantasy, Darin Park and Tom Dullemond--I've read the first couple of chapters so far, which didn't contain anything particularly memorable, but there does seem to be some interesting stuff later on about devising magical systems and societies and other fantasy-specific issues
  • Her Smoke Rose Up Forever, James Tiptree Jr.--Haven't started this yet, but she seemed like an author I ought to read.
  • Steering the Craft, Ursula K. LeGuin--Another writing book to feed my addiction. I like reading books on writing, because it helps keep me focused on process rather than product.
  • Stardust, Neil Gaiman and Charles Vess--The movie comes out later this year so I have to read this before then.
As far as New Year's resolutions go, I'd thought about doing JanNoWriMo this month with a few other people, but I've decided to try another goal for the first few months of the year instead and start the novel writing in the summer. I'd post what my goals for the year are, except I've found that I do better when I keep them to myself.

A happy, productive, and prosperous New Year to all!

1 Comments:

Blogger tinatsu said...

I know I'm getting old when schedules, routines, and predictibility all look good to me. I still have trouble sticking to them, but I do like them now, sad as that may be.

Jan 3, 2007, 8:31:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home