Thursday, March 29, 2007

Sense of Accomplishment

After three months of fits and starts, amidst much agonizing and backtracking, I have now completed the worst draft of a story I have ever written. I'm so proud. Normally I would have left the half-finished draft to be abandoned on a mountainside and eaten by wolves or thrown it into a sewer once I had seen how hideously deformed a creature I had wrought, but no, this time, in the spirit of experimenting with my writing process, I persisted. And lo, the story is indeed a piteous thing to behold. But it's done! Done! Even though I had to sacrifice a cat to do it. (No, not Pixel. Don't worry. A purely fictional cat.)

I don't know if I even want to call it a "first draft" at this point. Maybe a "pre-draft."

Now that I have seen how execrably I can write, it's time to put my surgical skills to the test and see if I can somehow slice, transplant, and suture this baby into some semblance of life.

Famous last words: At least I can't make it any worse.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay story draft! I have a few that are like that, not quite up to the point of first-draftness. Maybe Beta-draft? Or Draft0.0.5?

Good luck with the reconstructive surgeries :)

Mar 30, 2007, 10:38:00 AM  
Blogger tinatsu said...

Ooh, I like Beta-draft. That means it's still in the testing stage and not available for wide release. And lots of bugs to be worked out.

Mar 30, 2007, 11:18:00 AM  
Blogger bradkali said...

you guys sound so...... geeky, oh wait you are.

Mar 31, 2007, 12:12:00 PM  
Blogger Splinister said...

Cool, congrats on the beta-draft!

Apr 1, 2007, 8:55:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home