Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Book Meme

Since I never can disappoint Ben when he's expecting me to write something, I'll do the meme thing, too.

1. One book that has changed your life:
Atlas Shrugged, Ayn Rand. My creative writing teacher/soccer coach in high school gave me his copy to read. This is the first book that got me interested in philosophy and politics and stirred my interest in fiction as something other than entertainment. But then it also ended up with me not writing for several years from being overly influenced by Ayn Rand. Always Coming Home (Le Guin) reminded me what kind of stories I like to write.

2. One book you have read more than once:
I read most books I like more than once. My favorite novel is Of Human Bondage (Maugham), which I hated when I finished reading it the first time because I hated the ending. But somehow my hate transmuted into love, so I read it again to see if I really did like the book. I've read it four times in all so far, which isn't much in terms of re-reading for me. I've read Alice in Wonderland over two dozen times, and books I probably don't want to admit to even more often than that.

3. One book you would want on a desert island:
Probably a short story anthology, like a Year's Best Fantasy, so I'd have some variety to choose from. Or maybe the Bible, because I'm never going to read it in-depth any other way.

4. One book that made you laugh:
Bridget Jones's Diary, Helen Fielding. Because there's so much truth in it. But generally I don't laugh much while reading.

5. One book that made you cry:
The Hundred Secret Senses, Amy Tan. It's much easier to make me cry than laugh in a book. Most romance novels have a tearjerker scene that will get my eyes watering.

6. One book you wish had been written:
The one with the secret instructions that tell me what I'm supposed to be doing with my life in order to be healthy, wealthy, and wise.

7. One book you wish had never been written:
War and Peace. At some point I got it into my head that I should read this book, but I've tried three times and I never get more than a third of the way through. I hate being defeated by a book.

8. One book you are currently reading:
I'm just finishing Lord of Light (Zelazny) and moving on to The Gospel of Corax (Paul Park).

9. One book you've been meaning to read:
Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell, (Susanna Clarke) has been sitting on my shelf for a year and a half now. Well, not actually on my shelf the entire time since I haven't had a bookshelf for most of the past year. But it went in the suitcase to China with me, and then to Santa Maria and San Francisco, and still it has not gotten read. Same with Ilium (Dan Simmons).

10. Tag five people:
I'll tag some people off-stage and see if they respond, lest I embarrass anyone (such as myself) in public.

UPDATE: Because many of the people I most dearly love actually use their time more productively than by blogging (which would explain why their story production rates are much higher than mine), I emailed them to get their responses to the book meme. Ian, David, and Nicole all responded to my pleas (you guys rock!), but because I am lame or possibly because I have been pushing pixels around for 10 hours a day, I hadn't gotten around to posting their responses. (Bad Tina!) I have now added them to the comments below.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Maugham.

(and got your mailing - thanks, and ditto.)

Aug 23, 2006, 8:34:00 AM  
Blogger tinatsu said...

Extra brownie points for these guys!

Ian:
1. One book that has changed your life: The Sword of Shannara - it was
the first fantasy novel I ever read and hooked me into the genre

2. One book you have read more than once: The Black Company - read it
yourself to find out why

3. One book you would want on a desert island: The Bible - because I've never found the time

4. One book that made you laugh: The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy -
it's a British thing, okay?

5. One book that made you cry: All Quiet on the Western Front - read it
yourself to find out why

6. One book you wish had been written: My NYT bestseller that sweeps the Hugo, Nebula and Locus awards

7. One book you wish had never been written: Accelerando by Charles
Stross - because it means I probably can't write proper SF after all

8. One book you are currently reading: The Steam Magnate by Dana
Copithorne - it arrived in the mailbox the other day to be reviewed

9. One book you've been meaning to read: Twenty Epics - to see if the
other stories are better than mine


David:
1. One book that has changed your life: Fire Upon the Deep (because it reminded me how much I like SF and helped drive me off the law track)

2. One book you have read more than once: Lord of the Rings; Childhood's End; Ender's Game

3. One book you would want on a desert island: How to Survive on a Desert Island

4. One book that made you laugh: Angela's Ashes

5. One book that made you cry: Nothing makes me cry. I'm a man. (Okay: Angle of Repose; Doomsday Book; The Left Hand of Darkness; To Kill a Mockingbird [I was a kid!]; and probably lots of others. Mental blocks, you know.)

6. One book you wish had been written: A novel by me.

7. One book you wish had never been written: Xenocide (one of Card's sequels to Ender's game)

8. One book you are currently reading: Running with the Demon (the book Terry Brooks said was his best)

9. One book you've been meaning to read: The Bible. (I get through small parts, then have to put it down.)


Nicole

1. changed life: On Human Nature (E. O. Wilson)
2. read over: Offshore (Penelope Fitzgerald)
3. desert island: oh, the Bible, I think, as others have answered
4. laughed: Just this afternoon I laughed at "The Dumb Bunnies Celebrate Christmas." My nephew laughed so hard he couldn't breathe.
5. cried: so many -- but Ian put Sword of Shannara down for something, and it reminded me that I sobbed over that book. In a disgusting hotel room in Wyoming.
6. wished for: Jane Austen's follow up to Persuasion. I think Tina C. put this too.
7. wished didn't exist: Almost all good writers should allow their 8th and 9th books to be pretty heavily edited, if not burnt to ash.
8. reading currently: Victorian London (Liza Picard)
9. gearing up for: King Leopold's Ghost.

Sep 1, 2006, 3:18:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home